This is one for all the cookie monsters!
This recipe was given to me by one of my very good friends – Franky. She knows how much I love to bake, so it was a no-brainer secret Santa gift at one of our office Christmas parties. Thanks, Franky! The best part about this recipe is that you can literally make ANY kind of Christmas cookie using this as the base. AND, they are amazingly easy!
Simple cookie ingredients, easy to make, and even better to experiment with. Last year I made Lemon Cookies, Cinnamon Cookies and plain Vanilla cookies for Christmas. This recipe easily makes 40 Christmas Tree cookies. If you don’t want so many, you half the recipe… and it works! And you can make any shape you like!
- The cookie dough has to refrigerate for 2 hours, so keep that in mind when you want to make them.
- Different extra ingredients go in at different stages. For example, wetter ingredients like zest and juice go in with the vanilla. The spices go in with the flour, and the chips or solid goes in at the end when the dough has formed. I have added it into the recipe instructions as well.
- I sometimes add less sugar, you know trying to be healthy haha. But also because i don’t like my cookies too sweet. I want to try this recipe with coconut sugar… i will let you know how it goes!
- Oh, and just because they are called Christmas Cookies, doesn’t mean you can’t make them for tea time any other day of the year! I had a choc chip cookie craving and this definitely made my day!
- Simply add in some of your favourite chocolate chips to the cookie dough for the best choc chip cookie. Or even toffee drops.
- I made a lemon variation by adding the zest of 2 lemons and a squeeze of lemon juice as well. Perhaps even try some orange!
- Sometimes Christmas cookies call for spice. Add in 2 Tablespoons of Cinnamon and a teaspoon of nutmeg for some spice love. Or perhaps try some ginger cookies!
- You can coat them with some melted white chocolate in the end and add some sprinkles for some fun.
Any Kind Of Christmas Cookies
- 470 g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 225 g Butter at room temp
- 300 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Sift the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Set aside. *If you are adding in Cinnamon and other spices, add them into the flour mixture.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time.
Stir in the Vanilla. *If you are adding lemon or orange, add them in at this stage.
Gradually add in the flour mixture and mix until a dough has formed. *If you are adding chocolate chips, add them in at this stage.
Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 190 Degrees Celcius. Line a baking tray or two with baking sheet.
Flour a clean surface. Cut the dough into smaller pieces to manage easily. Roll out the dough until 5mm thick. Cut out your cookies.
Place your cookies onto the tray and bake for 6 to 8 minutes until lightly golden.